Monday, August 20, 2012

Lisa: Baby Blankets and Carmel French Toast

Wow, that weekend just flies by, doesn't it?  I never get everything done that I want to in a weekend and now we've got our children's sports events, school and all its activities and a move thrown on top!  Yes, we are moving but just to temporary housing until our new house can be built.  We were going to wait to move until our new house was built before we even put our current house up for sale but some very nice people came up and asked if they could buy it.  Well, long story short, we agreed and have to be out in a week and a half!  I'm trying not to stress out and instead look at this as a blessing!  In the meantime, we are a little busy here!  But really, a full, busy life is better than an empty, boring one, right?!!

So, last week I told you about some projects I completed.  I had to wait until I had mailed them but I can now show the baby blankets I made for the new babies coming to our family!

Katrina and Allison's baby blankets made with a granny ripple stitch!
These were super easy to do with the tutorial found here.  I'm not an amazing crocheter but I found these instructions easy to use and (with lots of photos) they were very easy to follow along with.


All my kids have now asked for a blanket with this stitch for Christmas!  I think I know what I am doing with my weekends from now till then!


Now on to my real post: Caramel Sour Dough French Toast (the longer the name, the better the recipe is what I've heard:)!!


For birthdays around my house, we do requests.  Usually those end up being crepes, chocolate gravy and biscuits or a favorite pancake recipe (and bacon, of course)!  Well, this year there was a request for sour dough french toast which I don't have a recipe for so I thought I'd wing it.  I think in the future, I'll bake these but I'll give you the recipe as I made it.  Warning: These are very sweet and rich!!  Most of my kids only had one piece but they loved them! 

Caramel Sour Dough French Toast

1 loaf good sour dough bread, sliced into 1" thick slices
8 eggs
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter, finely chopped

Combine eggs and milk.  Add vanilla.  Place bread cut side down in a large baking dish and pour egg mixture over the top.  Let sit for a few minutes.  Turn them over and let sit for a few minutes again.  All the egg mixture should absorb into the bread.

While the bread is sitting, combine brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.  (If baking the french toast, just sprinkle over the top.)  Next, just dredged the bread into the brown sugar mixture.  You might have to press it into the bread to get it to stick!  I then heated my flat top to 250-300 degrees.    On the flat top, the brown sugar mixture made a nice caramel coating to the french toast.  I still flipped the french toast when slightly browned, like you would with normal french toast.  If baking, heat oven to 350 degrees and bake for about 35 minutes or until light brown.  We topped with whipped cream because no birthday can pass without it!  Delicious!


Have great week!


Lisa

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful blankets! My babies loved the blankets you made for them. Perfect snuggle companion! That french toast looks incredible, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! This time I actually followed a pattern so the blanket didn't turn out wonky!

      Delete
  2. I was just going to text you, Lisa. Took me awhile to get the mail today, but guess what was in it? Yep... your adorable blanket for little Norah! Thank you!! I love it!! Also, we needed some good BYU gear. :) Loved the dress and little bracelet too. Man, you spoiled us! Thanks, Aunt Lisa!!
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything for my cute nieces and nephews! Hopefully the colors are alright! And GO COUGARS!!
      -Lisa

      Delete
    2. Seriously Lisa...you win for your adorable baby gifts!

      Delete