Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Allison: Go-To Cookies




Hello again! This week I'm feeling particularly pregnant and decided it was a good week to share my go-to cookies: Thumbprints.  I found this recipe a few years ago, and really love how easy it is, but how complicated it seems.  Does that make sense?  I can bust out a batch in no time at all, but they look more high-maintenance than they are.  Here's the recipe that I pretty much copied exactly from allrecipe.com:

Ingredients

1 cup butter, softened (I use 3/4 cup butter or 1 1/2 sticks)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup raspberry preserves (or any jam/filling you like)
1/3 cup confectioner's sugar for decoration (I omit this ingredient)


  • Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease baking sheets.
  2. Cream the butter with the white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
  3. Mix the flour and baking powder together. Stir in the flour mixture into the butter mixture and combine.
  4. Form dough into 1 inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Make an indentation in each cookie and fill with jam (I use a teaspoon measuring spoon to make the indentation.  Dipping it in sugar will help it not stick to the cookies). Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes (13 minutes is my magic number.  I leave them on the cookie sheet for a few more minutes to "set").  Let cool completely and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar (or not.  They're amazing without the sugar).

*Makes about 32 cookies (though the recipe says only 18.  I must make mine smaller).




* I almost completely fill "the well" with jam/filling, as the cookie will spread and so will the jam.  The pie filling didn't seem to spread at all, so I took that into consideration with the second batch.




There you have it!  These cookies are so buttery delicious, that I'm sure this recipe will become one of your favorites too.  Have a great week!!


Allison


5 comments:

  1. Mmm....you and your delicious cookies are amazing! P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just really good at finding other people's amazing cookie recipes. :)
      -Allison

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I might need to try these tonight :)
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked them with the lemon pie filling, but the jam is probably still my favorite.
      -Allison

      Delete
  3. Wow! These look delicious! I am a huge fan of thumbprint cookies. I'll definitely have to try these. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete