Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Allison: Family Memory Game

Hello, and Happy May Day!  Where did the week go?  It has been so fun reading my sisters' posts!  Aren't they creative?!

Mother's Day has always had significant meaning to me.  We have an amazing mother, who would do ANYTHING for her children.  She has been a great example to me of sacrifice and unconditional love.  

Mother's Day of 2010 was the best of my life.  We were expecting our first child and the day took on new meaning as I anticipated the changes that would happen within the following months and years.  My little "I" has become my life.  I love her with all that I am.  I love spending my days with her and can't wait to give her a little sister in August.  Being a mother is the hardest, most rewarding thing I've ever done.

Okay... back to mi madre.  My mom only loves being one thing as much as she loves being a mother and that's being a grandmother.  So for this Mother's Day, I decided to try an idea I saw once on Pinterest.  My gift to my mother is a Family Memory Game (to play with her grandchildren) featuring pictures of her children and grandchildren.  I took the basic idea, and made up the details as I went.  Here's what I used:


*Costco's photo department sells 4 wallet-size photos for $.39/ sheet.  I plan on making multiple sets, so this worked out great for me.

*I found this fun Fiskars punch at Joann's Fabric for $7.00 (after the 40% off coupon, of course).  I wanted rounded edges on my photos, and this little tool got the job done.  It even switches to a larger rounded punch which I used for the paper behind the photo.

*I wanted colored card stock behind the photo, so I used this mat stack from Joann's.  I've used it before, but had no idea that it came in an adhesive version too.  WHAT!?  How did I not know this!  I hate gluing (remember... I'm a lazy crafter), so this took out a big step in the process.

*I then picked out some cute scrapbook paper (a different style/pattern for each set, so they wouldn't get confused) to use for the backing.

*My Fiskars paper cutter is one of my best friends.  I use it ALL the time.  This made cutting down the backing paper much easier.  I made mine about 3 1/2 inches squared.

*Double-sided tape was my secret weapon during this project.  Since I planned on laminating each card, I didn't worry too much about only using tape.  I taped the picture to the colored paper, then removed the back of the colored paper and stuck it to the blank side of the scrapbook paper.  Done!

There are so many possibilities with this project!  I love having the freedom to adapt projects to the supplies I already have and to my level of laziness.  I hope my mother enjoys this game!  I also hope my sisters aren't surprised if a set ends up under their Christmas trees in a few months.  ;)


Finally, what's the point of having your own blog if you can't show off your latest projects?  This last week has been a mad dash to finish a crib bumper that I committed to make for a friend, who's welcoming her second child in a few weeks.  Her baby shower was Saturday, so I finally stopped procrastinating and finished it for her as a gift.  She had picked out the fabric, and had turned the project over to me.  It was my first bumper (with no pattern), so it was quite the learning experience.  At the last minute, I decided to make her a small wall quilt with the leftover fabric.  By last minute, I mean the afternoon before the baby shower.  Here's what I made:


Didn't they turn out cute?  I kind of love the simplicity of the quilt.  My friend was very surprised, and the rush and late night before was all worth it.

I hope every woman out there is spoiled rotten on her special day.  Happy Mother's Day, ladies!!


Allison

7 comments:

  1. Allison I LOVE the memory game!! Mom will love it so much. And your quilting is amazing, to me there is nothing 'simple' about it, I think you are just talented.
    --shauna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's so cool that you made a bumper! I would never have even thought about doing something like that! And I love the quilt, too! And the memory game is perfect. Go you!
    -Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just something she whipped up! You would not want to see the quilt that I could just whip up! Awesome, Allison! And such a cute memory game. I cannot wait till Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, you always blow me away by your quilts. I can't believe you made that in an afternoon! The bumper is absolutely beautiful too. I wish I was more like you.
    And I am so doing the memory game for my mom for mother's day. I better hurry up and get my sisters to send me pictures of their kids ASAP.

    Good luck on the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Erin! Yeah... choosing pics was the hardest part, by far! Thanks for reading! :)
      Allison

      Delete
  5. WOW! You are a crafting goddess!! I love the memory card game! My mom would LOVE LOVE LOVE that! Plus, I could see it being really fun for Claire so she could get to know her relatives. And don't even get me started on your sewing skills. I am not brave enough to do a bumper. And a quilt in a day? Your my role model!! :) miss you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO fun! I'm a fan of the blog and a BIG fan of the family!!

    ReplyDelete