Sunday, April 29, 2012

Lisa: Magnetic Recipe Board for Mother's Day

Well done on last week's posts, my dear sisters!  I love everything!  We are having Shauna's Blackened Chicken Salad with Sara's Tomatillo Salsa on Tuesday, we'll be making Allison's Pinatas on Friday and when did you say your baby's due, Katrina?!  Maybe I'll start giving out something besides my wonky crocheted blankets!  That is, if your baby doesn't mind two quilts that look awfully similar!
Now onto a new week.  This week we've decided to dedicate our posts to all things Mom in preparation for Mother's Day!  I once heard that there is no one on the earth who has your best interests at heart more than your mom!  Isn't it the truth!  Mom is always the one I want to call to celebrate my victories and to cry to about my defeats.  She's always ready to make time for me, give advice and to sometimes just listen!  I sure do love my mom!  One of the things my mom and I have in common is a love for a good recipe!  She and I love to read cookbooks and find the most tasty recipes around.  So for Mother's Day this year, I am making her a magnetic recipe holder!    
This craft is super easy to make. The hardest part was choosing the paper! The ingredients for this treat are:
Mod Podge, sponge brush, two pieces of scrapbook paper (if you'd like to do a layered look like the one above) and a very ugly metal sign that was on sale!

Trace the sign's shape onto the back of both papers.  Cut them out .  Then take the paper that will be the top layer and trim the sides to give you the spacing on the edge that you'd like.


Next, paint the Mod Podge directly onto the metal sign, making sure to get all the way to the edges and having enough so that the paper will stick but not so much that there are bubbles under the paper.
Smooth the paper onto the metal making sure not to leave the room to help your children with the computer otherwise you might develop a very large bubble that you can't correct and that makes you have to pull off the paper and start all over.  With green paper. 
Once the paper is smoothed out, put a layer of Mod Podge on top, even if you are only using one piece of paper.  Watch for bubbles!
 
Center the final paper to give you the edge you'd like.  Smooth the paper on and try to press away the bubbles.
Paint on the Mod Podge one last time.  Again, look for bubbles and wrinkles.  And remember that getting a very smooth surface when using Mod Podge isn't always possible.  In my project, I did have a small-ish bubble in the middle that I just couldn't get out.  But once the Mod Podge dried, the bubble was almost unnoticeable! 

And lastly, the finishing touches.  They are very easy.  I took some vinyl letter stickers from Hobby Lobby and spelled out "Recipes" on the base layer paper. I glued that onto a magnet in case my mom would rather use the board for pictures or memos instead of recipes!  The frame holder is also from Hobby Lobby and I am using just plain black magnets (not pictured) to go along with the board.  Easy.



Here is another menu board that I made for myself a little while ago.  I don't know if I really like "The Menu" title at the top anymore but it does the job!!

Good luck, Sisters!!  Can't wait to see what you have planned!  Love you guys!

Lisa

5 comments:

  1. Love the idea, Lisa! I'm jealous I didn't think of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my comment above. I'll figure this blogging thing out yet!! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. I am going to make the menu one. I have been wanting to do something like this for one of my walls. Thanks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome! Such a fabulous idea. I'm going to have to make a couple of these!
    -Katrina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! You guys have a cute blog! -Heather

    ReplyDelete