Monday, July 9, 2012

Lisa: Summer Reads



Well, hello again!  I must first apologize for missing last week to my sisters!  Webelos Day Camp and a nasty basketball injury to my husband teamed up to make posting last week not happen!!  My husband's street cred was considerably raised though, according to our nephews, so all is good!
 
I don't know about you guys but with summer comes vacations and a chance to relax with a good book (maybe not when there are very little children going with you on that vacation)!  I thought it might be a good time to share our favorite reads. 

Pre-k: There are lots of little books that the children of this age can look at and maybe even read to themselves but for great read together books, I love Shel Silverstein. 
Every Thing On It


The poems are short and usually accompanied but cute illustrations.  We are currently reading his book of poems released just last year.  It is sure to become another favorite in our house!

K-2nd Grade:  Gail Carson Levine!
The Princess Tales, Volume I

She is best known for Ella Enchanted but I have found all of her books to be just wonderful.  These short stories are perfect for short attention spans and because she puts her own spin on the classic fairy tales, my boys have also enjoyed her books (don't tell them that I told you)! 

3-6 Grades:  This is a great age for books!  My kids seem to discover reading at this age and devour everything they can get their hands on.  One of their favorite series are The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by  Patricia C. Wrede.

Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles Series #1)

This is another book that twists the original fairy tale and make for a fun adventure!  Very cute and a lot of quirky characters that (if you are reading aloud to your children) you can make interesting voices for!!

Teen Girls: There are so many good books but one of our favorites here for my teenage daughter is Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith.
Crown Duel (Crown and Court Duel Series #1)

It is an adventure book with just a little romance mixed in but best of all, it is a clean book.  No swear words or parts that I would be embarrassed for her to read.  Always a good point!

Teen Boys: My teenage son is into zombies and action but as he put it "I don't want any book that talks about, you know, feelings."  Boys!  I think The Maze Runner series is perfect for him!

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1)

He loved this series and still says lines from it every once in awhile. 

Adults:  I'm not really sure what to put for this one because I read all the ones my kids do!  I like to pre read books for my kids to make sure they are good and so we can talk about it later.  But I, of course, love Jane Austen and can't wait for my daughters to read her books.  One of her books that was only partially finished upon her death was called Sanditon.  It was completed by another authoress and I find it to be a great read!

Sanditon: Completed by Another Lady




For those that prefer nonfiction, some of my husband's favorite books are about the arctic explorers and their expeditions.  True North is one of the books he has read and tells others to read!
True North: Peary, Cook, and the Race to the Pole



So there you are.  Some of our favorite reads here!  Any you'd like to share?


Lisa 

3 comments:

  1. I love this list, Lisa! I need to read more. :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that Jane Austin book. I am going to get it today! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Lisa! I was just thinking that I need to go get some books, and looks like I know what I'm reading next!!

    ReplyDelete