Friday, July 27, 2012

Friday Favorites: Cold Treats

Hello, hello!  What a week this has been!  Lisa and I were trying to brainstorm ideas for today, and "cold treats" popped into my head.  Probably because I'm 35 weeks pregnant and melting here in Arizona.  It's been crazy hot and I'm currently restricting my sweets intake until this baby comes.  That makes for a VERY grumpy pregnant lady.  And what's the one thing you want when you're trying not to eat sweets?  SWEETS!   So... It looks like I'll be torturing myself a little while reading about all the yummy, cool treats my sisters have found.




My treat is one I think I can actually eat!  I didn't even realize that it was a low-sugar treat until I read through the ingredients.  These orange creamsicles looked amazing, when I first saw them on Pinterest. You can find the original recipe here.  I love that the recipe uses honey or agave instead of sugar.  As I'm writing this intro, I still haven't made them yet, but my mouth is watering in anticipation.


Okay... through the magic of blogging, it's now 6 hours later.  I've made the creamsicles, and my husband and I have both tested them...AMAZING!!  I'm pretty sure it's the heavy cream that makes these to die for.  And the best part: they're low in sugar!!  I think I'll probably be living off of these for the next 5 weeks.  I even used the 50 calorie orange juice to reduce the sugar and calories even more.  I might try half and half next time to see if it affects the taste at all.  


A little cautious at first, but then she dug right in!


Final evaluation: you must try these,  especially if you like Orange Julius or orange-flavored treats.  They're the perfect combination of citrus and cream.  Obviously from the pictures, you know one 22 month old who agrees.  :)  Enjoy!!


Allison


***************************************************************************************************************************


My cold treat isn't usually one that I make in the summer.  I usually make it throughout the fall and winter but sometimes a little Fudge is all one needs to get through the day (can you tell its been one of those weeks???).
This isn't a picture of my actual fudge (pic from
Allrecipes) but it is similar to what the end
result looks like.


My fudge recipe is probably the simplest one you will find.

Ingredients:  a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, one bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and vanilla (optional).


Directions:  In a medium size sauce pan, stir the sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips until the chocolate chips have completely melted.  I tend to like all my chocolate rather bitter but if you don't like it like that, add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and stir.


Line a 9x9 (or 8x8 if you want them thicker) pan with parchment paper, pour in the chocolate mixture and put in the freezer until set.  When set, cut into bite size squares and enjoy.

Sara Jane
*********************************************************************************

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara...I love our different definitions of "cold treats". :) It's obvious we live in very different states. But I need to try yours! Fudge has always scared me a little. :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, where did you get your Popsicle holders? So cute! It is funny the difference definitions. In Oregon, the high is only supposed to be 75 today. Yesterday I tried to give my kids popsicles but they thought it was too cold outside. Ha ha! Isla is just as beautiful as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd give a lot for 75 degrees right now. I found the popsicle holders at Wal Mart. They make two popsicles and were $.97 each. Do you like Isla's pj top, diaper and sandals? I needed a picture and it was 9:30 in the morning. :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete