Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Allison: Frame Revamp Tutorial

Hello, and welcome to another week!  I'm not sure where last week went.  I cannot believe how this summer is flying!  That being said, we know that summer is a busy time, and our lives are no exception.  With vacations and kids and babies coming, we're going to try to keep our weekly themes a little more general to just "Summer" for a few weeks.  This may mean less consistency between the sisters' posts, but it also means more variety.  Hopefully we'll get some guest bloggers to contribute along the way.  I can't wait to see what my sisters come up with!

I think my posts will follow the theme of "Summer Projects".  My crafting energy has been greatly consumed lately with getting my house ready for this little girl to arrive next month and nesting is in full force! I have been working on her room, and trying to make Isla's a little more girly in the process.

A couple of months ago, I cross-stitched some cute little bears and added Isla and Norah's names underneath.  I wanted to find the perfect frame for them, but could not find what I was looking for.  So, I decided to take matters into my own hands.  Here's what I did:

I found this black frame at Wal-Mart for $7.  I liked the mat, and I liked the frame, but not their colors.  Isla has more brown in her room than black, so I wanted her frame to be a neutral white.  Also, the mat needed more personality.  Here's what you'll need to revamp your frame:


*Obviously, you will need a frame to revamp.  :)  I wish I could have found a frame at a second-hand store, but I couldn't.  So, I bought this lovely frame, and spray painted it white.

*Mod Podge
*Foam brush for applying Mod Podge
*Scissors
*Tissue paper of choice

Here are the steps:


Step One: Remove the mat from the frame and apply a good amount of Mod Podge to the foam brush to cover the front surface of the mat.  I applied mine in stages.  Make sure to apply enough Mod Podge around the edges.

Step Two: Smooth the paper down, and then wrap the paper around the back of the mat.

Step Three: Puncture the center of the tissue, and cut to the four edges.  You'll need to cut paper in the center down before folding it over the edges of the mat.  Apply Mod Podge to the folded-over paper and glue to the back of the mat.

Step Four: Turn your mat over and smile, because it's SO CUTE!

I love how my frame turned out, and think it PERFECTLY showcases my little ballerina bear.  I can't wait to hang it on Isla's bedroom wall.



If you want your own little bear cross stitch, check out our Etsy Shop.  I'll be providing them made-to-order, with lots of themes to choose from.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/fivecraftysisters

I hope you've enjoyed this frame revamp!  I love being able to make something generic into something that's as special as my little Isla Girl.  Have a great week, and keep on creating!!


Allison





No comments:

Post a Comment