Monday, June 25, 2012

Lisa: Fourth of July Celebrations!

Hello all and welcome to a new week!!  We are working on all things having to do with The Fourth of July this week.  For our Fourth of July celebrations, we invite all my husband's family over for water fun, a BBQ and fireworks.  We have a very large grassy area that works for accommadating large number so it is perfect.  I have table decorations planned but I thought this year would be fun to spruce up our yard with decorations!  So for this week, I am doing star decorations for the flower beds. 

These are super easy and take a very short amount of time to make. 



Supplies:
Wooden stars
Patterned paper
Wooden dowels
Mod Podge
Sponge brush
Paint
Wood glue

Steps:
1) Lay out the stars and paint the desired color.  Let dry.
2) Trace star shape onto the back side of the paper.  Cut out.
3) Paint a layer of Mod Podge onto the dried, painted star.  Place the cutout star shape on the painted star and smooth out any wrinkles that appear.  Allow to dry.  Paint a top layer of Mod Podge onto the paper.  Let dry.
4) Drill hole into bottom of the star that is wide enough for the dowel to fit.  Cut dowel to desired length.  Place a small amount of wood glue into the drilled hole.  Insert dowel and allow to dry. (Or you can do what I did and skip this step altogether and just tape the dowels on!! I ran out of time!)


Done.  I think this will add a little fun to our outdoor party without me (I mean my husband) having to get up in the tree and string decorations.  Very nice!

Lisa

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE those, Lisa! I am totally making some. :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had some of those wooden stars. Where did you get them? Very cute! My yard could use some of this cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanns in their unfinished wood section. They are easy!

      Delete