Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sara Jane: Pumpkin Scones

Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Ours was full of family and food. 

Last Saturday, I escaped for a few hours to go Christmas shopping.   On my way out of town, I stopped by Ruby Cakes, a bakery that only has Gluten Free and Vegan sweets and everything is delicious!  When I walked into the bakery, I spotted the scones.  They had a pumpkin/cinnamon chip scones that looked heavenly so I grabbed one and headed out.  The first bite into it was an explosion of flavors in my mouth.  Along with the expected pumpkin flavor was a syrup with seeds and nuts.  I can't even explain it.  I was floored by how yummy it was.  From then on, I have been wanting another one of their delicious scones but haven't had the time to go get one.  

The other night, several hours after Ruby Cakes had closed, I REALLY wanted a pumpkin scone so I attempted to make my own.  I altered my recipe quite a bit so I will repost the entire recipe here for you.  I basically cut my original recipe in half, eliminated the milk and added the pumpkin. 

PUMPKIN SCONES



Ingredients
*3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for hands and parchment
*1/2 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
*1 1/4 tablespoons baking powder
*1/2 teaspoon salt
*6 Tablespoons shortening
*1/4 cup butter
*1 can of pumpkin (I can't remember how many ounces but use the smaller can of pumpkin)
*1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin spice

Icing:
*2 cups powdered sugar
*1/4 cup milk

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

To make the scones: In a mixer, blend dry ingredients, shortening and butter together thoroughly until mixture looks like bread crumbs. Add the pumpkin and mix for about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl.  If the mixture looks to be too dry, add a few tablespoons of milk; if it looks to be too wet, add about a 1/4 cup of flour.  Be careful not to overmix. Flour hands and shape dough into a large circle about 10 inches in diameter. Cut into 6 pie shaped pieces and sprinkle with sugar. If you want to do a shape, like I did, roll out your dough until it is about 3/4 inch thick and then use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, rotating once halfway through the cooking time. Remove from oven and let cool completely.


To make the icing: Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Mix for about 30 seconds or until thick. Drizzle scones with icing. Let icing harden before serving.


One more thing....I have a new favorite gift to give.  Sticky Grams.  They are soooo fun!  The site takes your Instagram pictures (which I am slightly obsessed with) and makes them into little magnets.  I received the few that I made for my in-laws yesterday and I can't get over how absolutely adorable they are!   Check them out!

Loves!

Sara Jane


1 comment:

  1. Yummm - those look great. Love Sticky Gram too. I ordered 4 different sets just waiting for them to arrive. Such great gifts!

    ReplyDelete